Friday, June 30, 2017

Slowly getting back to hiking...

Recovery is going very well.  This past Sunday, I went hiking with a friend at Painted Mines.  Just outside of Calhan, Colorado, a short drive east of Colorado Springs, it's a nice afternoon get-away.  The whole park has about 4 miles of trail - I was able to do almost 2 miles.  Not bad for less than a month out!

The countryside is rolling hills - you wouldn't know the Mine was there unless you were looking for it.  Everything is so green, with wildflowers everywhere!

As you start down the trail from the south entrance, there is a large placard that describes what you will see. 


And the trail begins with gently rolling hills.


There was a gal from Philly running the trail, and she caught this photo of myself and my friend.  Very nice of her!  This is the only fairly level part of the trail.  And if you look carefully, you can see one crutch hanging off my pack.


Almost there!   


And after traversing the up and down of the trail, this is the reward!


The columns of rock are called hoodoos.  Sometimes they're called fairy chimneys.  Whatever their name, they are fascinating and beautiful.  



Different types of rock and clay form the colored layers.  



My favorite formation was this tabletop.  I think it's granite.  It sparkled in the sunshine!


This photo is a mystery.  There are no trees anywhere, no structures, nothing.  Were these posts left over from an earlier building?  And what kind of critter lives in that hole?


Let's not forget the wildflowers!






I did have to use my stick on the way back, but that's ok.  I'm pleased with my effort.

More hiking to come!  I've made plans to camp sometime in July, and there are more YouTube videos in production!

Until next time, take care, God bless, and see you on the trail!




No comments:

Post a Comment