Saturday, August 5, 2017

August update...

Ok, so I haven't posted anything recently.  Family obligations - helping dad get in to assisted living, cleaning out 30 years of life, painting, tearing down wallpaper, painting, scrubbing, painting, sorting, painting, packing... oh yeah, did I mention painting? - have taken up most of my summer.

Seriously - this is a huge task, and I took a month of unpaid leave from work to get this done.  Texi and I drove from Colorado Springs to Fort Lauderdale - 2-1/2 days, and it was not the most fun I've ever had.  Especially Nashville and Atlanta, the traffic!  The way home will be the southern route, and I'll see friends while in Texas.

Here we are, ready to roll!  Texi is such a good traveler, very mellow and so well-behaved.




I had very good experiences staying in Red Roof Inn motels along the way.  Clean, quiet, and not at all expensive!  And pet friendly!

Tomorrow my step-bro and his wife will be here for a week.  He remodels homes for a living, and can really get this place in shape.  I've already fully refinished a bathroom.  There's another bathroom and the kitchen to work on, including countertop refinishing.  New carpet all around next week, a contemporary berber.  And we've cleaned out the kitchen, and hall closet.  But... that's only a fraction of what needs to be done!

I'm coming home with stuff - mostly crystal and fine china - but the two big scores are a 2-burner Coleman camp stove and a blue enamel coffee percolator!  Dad used them whenever there was extended power outages due to hurricanes or other severe storms.  Where he's going, there's no need.  In case of a 'cane, he'll be safe at my niece's home, only 5 miles away.

And where he's going is absolutely gorgeous!  This senior community is just lovely - spreading oak trees with Spanish moss hanging down, paved trails through the 100 acres, private lake, all on the banks of the St. Johns river.  Truly the embodiment of Old Florida.  It's also faith-based, something that is very important to both of us.  Oh, and the food is delicious!

See the river in the background?  Dad has a scooter - I could imagine he would enjoy these trails.





I could spend all afternoon out here!  And this new camera?  Check out below.



See the white house across the river, just to the right of the photo's center?  Love this little camera - nothing like telephoto power!  Large, gracious homes (both traditional and modern) line the banks of the river.



They've had to pull the occasional gator out of Turtle Pond.



And something funny - while dad, my niece, and I were having lunch, THREE different women came up to him - "Are you new here?"  Guess he's a hot commodity!  I think he should give Downton Abbey viewing parties, as he has the full series on DVD.  You know, serve tea and dainty snacks... the ladies would be delighted!

That's all for now.  God bless all y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment